I love table runners because they are easy to change as often as you wish giving a fresh new look to your table. By using designer fabric remnants, which are inexpensive it allows me to change my table runners quite often. It does not bother me that it may not coordinate with the overall décor of the home because the focus is the table for that moment. For this runner, I wanted to use the remnants I found in the soft neutrals, creams and soft golden honey colors for Fall.
My budget challenge: $20.00.
- My inspiration was this remnant upholstery fabric, which was only $5.69. Regular price: $18.00 per yard which has the same fern/leaf design as the pumpkin.
- For the contrast ends a 1/2 yard for $4.49 the fabric used called Java by Stan Cathell for Magnolia Home Fashions. Regular price $8.98 a yard.
- I made the pattern. I only lined the ends. The oblong center was trimmed with 1″ of the contrast fabric
- Purchased 1-3/8yds of burlap fringe and honey yellow gimp braid. The left over burlap trim was used to make the spiral buttons and tassel (beads already had). With a higher budget, I would have purchased a coordinating burlap braided cord w/lip to outline the contrast ends. The burlap flowers I had, and popped them on for an added touch.
- Tablerunner measures 76″L by 20″W. The contrast ends are 13″L by 20″W
- Total price $18.19. Left over money…French fries! Total time to make 1hr 15min. Mama was happy. 🙂
I did not want to do a buffet runner so I used a burlap ribbon I had and tied bows at the end. 🙂
True, I could have purchased a fall runner at Pier One Imports for $30.00+ but sewing and creating your own is so much more fun. Another tip, take an inexpensive plain store purchased runner and add beautiful fabrics and trims to the side and ends creating your own personal design. Runners are great accents for sideboards, buffets, credenzas, chest, over doors, wider runners can also be used as bed scarfs; anywhere there is a flat surface you can put a runner. Create a high end designer look with a low end cost. Until next post…….Sew, design and enjoy loving your home. Happy Fall Y’all 🙂
(2016 Note: In 2016 Fall Harvest Table Runner has been donated to GoodWill)